At 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday October 9th, Local 2086 and 2164 members responded to a residential kitchen fire in the 3700 block of West Chenango Avenue. The 911 caller reported a fire in the microwave and safely evacuated without injuries. When Engine 11 arrived smoke was coming from the front door of the house and members advanced a hose line inside. 22 personnel responded and quickly extinguished the fire before it could spread out of the kitchen.
Nearly half of all residential fires nationwide start in the kitchen and account for 45% of fire related injuries.